Thursday 8 February 2018

Facebook moderator: I had to be prepared to see anything - BBC News

Facebook moderator: I had to be prepared to see anything - BBC News: ""I think Facebook was caught out by fake news. In the run-up to the US election, it seemed highly off the radar, at least at the time I was working there. I really cannot recall ever hearing the term 'fake news'.
"We saw a lot of news articles that were circulating and reported by users, but I don't ever recall management asking us to browse news articles to make sure that all the facts were accurate.
"It's very monotonous, and you really get used to what's spam and what's not. It just becomes a lot of clicking. Would I recommend it? If you could do anything else, I would say no."
The BBC shared Sarah's story with Facebook. In response, a Facebook spokesman said: "Our reviewers play a crucial role in making Facebook a safe and open environment. This can be very challenging work, and we want to make sure they feel properly supported. That is why we offer regular training, counselling, and psychological support to all our employees and to everyone who works for us through our partners.
"Although we use artificial intelligence where we can, there are now over 7,000 people who review content on Facebook..."" 'via Blog this'

No comments: